Venue & Info
About the Kamerlingh Onnes Building
The Kamerling Onnes building contains a lot of history. It’s named after the Dutch physicist and Nobelprizewinner Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, who once had his laboratory here.
The lab was built in 1856 on a location that was known at the time as the Little Ruin, after a gunpowder ship had exploded in the area in 1807. Through the years the lab has been expanded.
Early twentieth century Kamerling Onnes succeeded in making helium liquid, cooling it down very close to absolute zero ( -273,15°C). It got him the Nobelprize and his lab the nickname ‘Coldest place on earth’.
Another fun fact: Albert Einstein gave lectures here as well.
Nowadays the building houses the Faculty of Law of the University of Leiden.